Tummy Time Tips
'Tummy time' refers to sessions of supervised play where the baby spends time lying on their stomach. It has many benefits, as it builds upper body strength. Our Look, Touch, Learn books are designed to be used with babies aged 0 - 6 months and they can be ordered from our website here.
HOW TO GET STARTED
- Place your baby on their tummy on a flat surface when they are awake and under adult supervision.
- Stand 'Look Touch Learn' SKY or SEA up in front of and around them.
- Let your baby interact with the book as much as possible.
- From newborn age, start with a few minutes at a time and build up to longer sessions.
- Follow the trails and shapes with their fingers.
- Blow or poke the moving part – look at your child through the hole from the other side of the book.
- Play finger games too!
- Talk and sing with your baby all the time.
- Read the text out loud.
- Add words of your own - remember that children love repetition, prediction – and surprise!
Top tip: Try to stimulate as many of your child’s senses as possible – and at the same time. They will respond much more if the stimulus is multisensory!
Watch your child’s response to different parts of the book, and concentrate on those until their
attention is drawn by something else. Babies are visually stimulated by many things, including:
- Strong contrasts
- Curved edges
- Fractal patterns (patterns that repeat on differing scales)
- Odd-one-out elements in repeating patterns